Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Food, Inc and other stuff

By happy accident, I caught Food, Inc on my local PBS station tonight. I have been wanting to see it for some time, but it isn't online anywhere, and I don't have the extra cash to buy it.

If you have never seen it, Food, Inc is a revealing, inspiring, revolting, heart wrenching, somewhat life changing experience. My wife watched it with me, and the seed of starting our own farm I have been trying to plant in her head for some time may have actually started to root! If you are at all in to the local food, slow food movement, then try to catch this show. Anyone want to go in on the purchase of half a grass fed cow!?

In other news, my garden is officially finished for the Spring/Summer. With the exception of my tomato plants, and some sunflowers, all of my other crops have been pulled up. All I managed to get out of the garden this year was one small bell pepper, one cucumber, one rouge cantaloupe, 2 hand fulls of cherry tomatoes, 2 squash, and a good amount of purple hull peas. No corn, okra, watermelons, musk melons, spicy or hot peppers, carrots, lettuce. I say this with a bittersweet tone as, even though I only gleaned a minute amount of produce in comparison to the amount of seed I planted, I am trying to stay positive knowing that I gathered quite a bit on knowledge (mostly the need to amend, amend, amend!). I am giving the remaining tomatoes one more week to show potential.

I ate the pepper in an omelet, a few of the cherry tomatoes in salad, and we plan to cook the peas soon. I am letting the rouge cantaloupe ripen a bit more before I cut it. It is smaller than its parent (store bought), but I am curious to see if it is at all edible.

I have high hopes for my future gardens, and look forward to more success next time!

No comments: