Friday, June 8, 2012

Mysteries continued...

Last post I told you about a mystery tomato plant that came up in the garden. Since that post, I have picked probably 130 - 150 tomatoes off that one plant. Below is a photo. The concrete block is for size reference.


I am amazed at the production of this bush, and am saving seed in the hope to at least get this good of result or better next year.

I also mentioned in my last post about two rogue sunflowers that just popped up—one in the garden, one in an old compost pile. Below is a photo of the one in the garden.


As you can see, it is a beautiful specimen. I love all the flower heads on it. I plan to save seeds from this and the other plant for next year as well. Just today I cut the heads off the other sunflower to dry them.


The heads shown above are from just one plant, so if all goes well, I should have an abundance of seed.

If anyone is interested, I would be will to share the seed of both the tomatoes and sunflowers. Just email me at tomanda2042 at bellsouth dot net. The tomatoes, as mentioned in a catalog description I found, are addictive!

Happy summer!

No comments: