Just a quick update for those visiting:
All my watermelon and pumpkin plants can up, and half the okra and cow peas. So, today I planted some more okra to replace that which did not germinate. I read somewhere that soaking the okra seeds in hot water for a bit helps them germinate better, so I did before placing the new seeds in the ground. We'll see what happens.
I also planted some pole beans and white corn, also after soaking the seeds, but in cool tap water. I planted the pole bean in between the cow peas, and made a whole new row for the corn.
For the corn, I added composted cow manure, regular store bought compost (mine won't be ready for a while), and leaves, lightly mixed that into the top layer of soil, and then planted the corn. I then covered the row (which is not elevated) with more leaves as mulch to help retain moisture.
I am trying to do as much research as possible, but there is so much info online and in books that digesting it can get overwhelming. The garden this year is a bit of an experiment anyway, so if I get half of what I plant to produce, I'll be happy.
Thanks for stopping by! Will have more photos in my next update.