Saturday, July 24, 2010

And the fun begins!


I was watering the garden this evening when I spotted some green poking out from the weed guard I have over my watermelon and pumpkin seeds. Upon closer inspection, I found a pumpkin plant poking through! Needless to say I was really excited, as it hasn't even been a week since the kids and I planted them. Looking around at the other spots, I found a few more pumpkins growing and one watermelon plant coming up. That is one of the things that fascinates me about plants and gardening—that a seed that has been dormant for over a year, once wet, will begin producing a tiny plant, only to grow larger and make a beautiful flower, or an edible fruit. Isn't nature cool?!

Below is a photo of my overall garden, which measures about 15' x 15'.


The green stuff you see growing is grass that needs to be removed (a never ending process). On the left, in the fenced area, is the watermelon and pumpkins. Next (2 dark area on top and bottom) I planted marigolds in an effort to attract bees to the flowers on my fruits and veggies. I may have to plant other flowers later, but we'll see what happens with the timing. The 2 rows at the top right are okra and cow peas, respectively. (Note: If you ever plant cow peas, only plant one short row as they produce profusely.)

I have a few books that I found at the library that I will share in the next post.

No comments: